Tsinghua University is one of China's most renowned universities, attracting elite students from all over the world. Campus is located in the Northwest Beijing, on the site of the former imperial gardens of the Qing Dynasty. It has been voted as one of the world’s most beautiful university campuses, with its green spaces, pagodas, pavilions, bridges and lotus flower pond.
8 good reasons to study at Tsinghua University
- Most important national and international university rankings place Tsinghua amongst the best universities in mainland China.
- You’ll have the opportunity to take classes with both local Chinese and international students.
- Unique opportunity to become familiar with Chinese culture and language.
- The campus is exceptionally beautiful - studying at Tsinghua University is like visiting a palace garden from a distant time in history!
- Tsinghua alumni include former President Hu Jintao and current President Xi Jinping.
- Tsinghua is located in the northwestern part of Beijing, considered the "silicon valley" of China, close to famous historic sites such as the Summer Palace and Yuan Ming Yuan Park.
- Beijing has the largest number of universities and colleges in China, as well as the largest number of international students.
- Beijing also has the largest number of cultural heritage sites of any city worldwide, including the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, Peking Man Site at Zhoukoudian, the Temple of Heaven, the Summer Palace and the Ming Tomb.
The courses cover a range of disciplines, such as Engineering, Chemistry, Economics, Journalism and Communication. You can also study Biomedical Sciences, Interior Design or Programming?
Tsinghua University is one of only nine members in the elite C9 League of Universities in China, comparable to the Ivy League in the USA. Tsinghua University has also been:
- Ranked as the number one university in China by the QS World University Rankings.
- Ranked 24th in the world by the QS World University Rankings.
- Ranked 35th in the world by the Times Higher Education Rankings.
- Ranked the number one university for Engineering by US News and World Report, overtaking world-renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). This is the first time that a Chinese university wins the ranking.
Campus life at Tsinghua University
With 137 student societies, Tsinghua University promises a vibrant campus life beyond the classroom and you may become part of it! Tsinghua has from it received it's very first international students to present, where students from around 120 nations mingle with Chinese students, evolved into an international Chinese University ranking at the very top academically.
The university motto is "Self-discipline and social commitment" and has the approach of "action speak louder than words".
The on-campus shopping center is located at Zhaolanyuan, where you find banks, post office, supermarket, bookstores, fruit and vegetable market, photo studios, restaurants, hairdresser and a laundry service. The on-campus sporting facilities include tennis courts, badminton courts, football fields, basketball courts and a rock-climbing wall. The shops within the campus are well equipped and sell almost everything that a student might need. With 13 dining halls, there is no shortage of food options!
Student accommodation in Beijing
On-campus housing is not guaranteed for international students, but you have the opportunity to secure your accommodation through our partner in Beijing. This could be an apartment in close proximity to the campus (around 10 minutes by bike). Students that choose this option will have their own bedroom in a shared apartment with other students or expatriates. The shared facilities include a bathroom, kitchen, dining area, washing machine, TV, air conditioning and lounge. Wi-Fi, Electricity, gas, water, internet and weekly cleaning is also provided.
You may also find your own housing on the private market, but it's not recommended unless you're fluent in Chinese and you're not recommended to rent without having visited the location.
Apply to Tsinghua University
Please contact our study advisors to receive detailed information about your study options and the specific entry requirements at Tsinghua University in Beijing. We will send you the application form and help you throughput the whole application process.
If you would like to study for 1-2 semesters at Tsinghua University, you need to be enrolled at an institution in your home country and you must have completed at least one year of your studies. You will also need good grades and you have to meet the pre-requisites to all the courses you want to take.
The English requirements vary. In certain cases, the English grade from your Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate can be considered, while in other cases you will have to take a standardized English Language test.