Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is the largest international collaborative university in China. XJTLU is a joint venture between the University of Liverpool in England and Xi’an Jiaotong University in China. It is located in the city of Suzhou on China’s east coast, only 30 minutes from Shanghai by high-speed train.
Good reasons to study at XJTLU
- XJTLU combines the best of East and West and students will benefit from the input and expertise from both parent universities.
- You will have enhanced career and employment prospects because of a multilingualism and an in-depth knowledge of China.
- Students that apply for a bachelor will earn two degrees – one from XJTLU and one from the University of Liverpool.
- XJTLU offers a generous scholarship to degree seeking international students.
- You can start your own business in the student enterprise park, or join one of the 100 student organizations centred on art, sports, music, entrepreneurship and dance. Athletics at XJTLU range from football to golf and from table tennis to ultimate frisbee.
- Suzhou is one of the most developed cities in China with an average annual growth of 15%.
- The city has been called “paradise on the earth” since ancient times. Suzhou's heritage has been preserved in its many beautiful gardens and parks.
- Suzhou is also known as 'Oriental Venice', as canals on all four sides surround it.
- International students at XJTLU have the opportunity to witness one of the most cultural rich countries in the world. There is plenty to see in China, from the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square in Beijing, the Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an, the bamboo forests of the panda in Chengdu, to Suzhou's very own UNESCO World Heritage gardens and canals.
Fields of study
At XLTLU you can study Engineering, Business, Biology, Economics, or Urban Design, Nutrition, TV/Film and much more.
Full degree Bachelor and Master programs start in September. The Study Abroad program has intakes in September and February.
Student life and support on campus
Once international students arrive into Suzhou, XJTLU’s International Student Advisors will help them settle into the university and the city. They also offer advice on visas, housing, student health and activities.
Students can choose from more than 100 student organizations, which is a great way of getting to know new people, hone different skills and getting the most out of the social life at university.
Campus and facilities
The campus consists of two areas: the common space, and the exclusive XJTLU campus. A large community of international students and all the universities in the Higher Education Town share the common space. The exclusive XJTLU campus is dedicated to learning, teaching and research. As a relatively newly established Sino-foreign collaborative university, XJTLU has a state-of-the-art and award-winning campus.
In addition to XJTLU campus, students have access to the facilities in the Higher Education Town. These facilities include the Dushu Lake Library and Dushu Lake Sport Centre (with gym, rock climbing and swimming pool), accommodation, a cinema and theatre, a bowling alley and an international communication center. There are also a number of shops and restaurants within the area.
Student accommodation in Suzhou
The Suzhou Industrial Park Education Development & Investment Limited Company (SIPEDI) provides dormitory/apartment services to all students in the Dushu Lake Higher Education Town where Xi´an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is located. Contact our study advisors for information about the accommodation options available.
Apply to XJTLU
To make sure you’re on top of your application game, contact our study advisors as soon as possible to receive detailed information about your study options and the specific entry requirements at XJTLU. They will send you the application form, guide you through the whole process and make sure you have all the necessary forms, certificates and letters included in your application.
The exact requirements vary depending on the specific degree you apply for, but generally, XJTLU requires a good academic average from previous studies. Students applying for a master degree must have completed a bachelor degree. Students that want to do 1-2 semesters of Study Abroad at XJTLU must be registered at a university in their home country. However, some programs have more specific entry requirements, like a portfolios or work experience.
The English requirements vary. In certain cases, the English grade from your Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate can be considered, while in other cases you will have to take a standardized English Language test.