California State University San Marcos is located in the heart of coastal southern California, which is a wonderful place to live while studying in the United States. The university prides itself on offering both a strong academic program and offering excellent support services in a safe and beautiful setting.
6 good reasons to study at California State University San Marcos
- The university has more than 150 clubs and societies that you can join.
- You will get education in small class sizes. Student to faculty ratio is 24:1 and 75% of classes have no more than 40 students in them.
- CSU San Marcos has been rated the safest 4 year college in California for several years in a row.
- The university is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- You can chose from many study programs at affordable tuition fees.
- You'll have lots of opportunities to get involved and meet both local and international students!
Facts about CSU San Marcos
- Located in the heart of coastal southern California (there is more to life than studying, we know!)
- Fairly small university with approx. 11.000 students (your professors will know your name)
- 280 days of sunshine per year (yes, all your friends will be jealous of your tan when you come home)
- International students from 45 different countries across the world (you will have friends from all over the world)
- Over 150 clubs and student organizations that you can join (always wanted to learn how to belly dance? This is your chance)
Fields of study
At California State University San Marcos you can study Business, English, Journalism, Performing Arts or Biomedical Sciences, Programming and much more.
Student accommodation in San Marcos
CSUSM offers two options for on-campus housing: the University Village Apartmens (UVA) and the QUAD. Both are modern on-campus apartments designed exclusively for students attending California State University San Marcos. We advise you to apply early, since the on-campus housing fills up many months before each semester.
The QUAD features fully-furnished apartments, a state-of-the-art game cave, a modern fitness center and a resort-style pool. University Village Apartments is a bit older but also has all the facilities you need…and more. These include a resort style pool, cycling room, cardio center, fire pit, game room & much more.
It is recommended that first year international students who will be doing a full degree at CSUSM stay on campus to begin with. This will make the transition a lot easier and it is the perfect way to meet new friends and get involved in the student community. If you are coming to CSU San Marcos for just one semester it might be a good idea to consider living with a homestay family or in private accommodation.
Homestay with an American family
Living with an American family in homestay is one of the best ways to learn about American culture and customs. Many students choose homestay for their first semester at the CSUSM.
Off-Campus Housing - living on your own
If you prefer to find private accommodation with other students, the San Marcos, Carlsbad, Escondido, Oceanside, and Vista communities near CSUSM offer many reasonably priced apartments.
Campus California State University San Marcos
The CSUSM-campus is located in San Marcos, a small and safe suburban city in the beautiful southern California, about 50 kilometers north of downtown San Diego and 150 kilometers south of Los Angeles. It is a small, friendly campus surrounded by rolling hills and scenic views.
The campus has many facilities available to students, including a modern library, computer rooms, a language laboratory, a dining hall, and a student health center and is conveniently located within walking distance to grocery stores, dining/restaurants, medical facilities, pharmacy, etc.
CSUSM has around 14,000 students, including 500 international students from 45 different countries. The population of the region is a mixture of cultures from around the world. As an international student you can easily find international groups, restaurants, and food markets that will make you feel at home in southern California.
Apply to California State University San Marcos
Since CSUSM has continuous admission, we recommend that you send your application as soon as possible. The academic year is divided into two semesters that begin in August and January and we recommend you apply as soon as you have decided that you would like to study at CSUSM.
CSUSM's admission requirement is a reasonable grade average from your last studies. The university accepts study abroad students straight from Upper Secondary School.
The English admission requirement is a completed Upper Secondary School diploma with a minimum grade above average (which cannot be older than 5 years) or that you take an English language test like the TOEFL/IELTS. However, English requirements vary from country to country and from year to year, so we suggest that you contact us to hear about the current requirements.