aUniversity of California Berkeley, just outside of San Francisco, is regularly ranked as one of the best universities in the United States and the university has over 35,000 students from around the world. At University of California, Berkeley you can study:
- A semester or two (study abroad)
- A Diploma
Via the Global Access Program, students can choose to focus on one subject (Legal Studies, Environmental Design/Architecture, Entrepreneurship/Business and English Literature) or chose a mixture of courses from the UC Berkeley course catalog.
Why study at the University of California, Berkeley Extension?
- University of California Berkeley is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world!
- University of California Berkeley is located just outside amazing San Francisco (20 minutes by car)
- Complete a quality education and earn a diploma that demonstrates successful completion of rigorous Berkeley-quality curriculum.
- You have the opportunity to combine your education with an internship.
- You get to live on a campus with over 35,000 students from around the world
- The university has over 1,000 student groups so you have many opportunities to connect with other students who share your interests.
Campus and accommodation at the University of California, Berkeley
The UC Berkeley Extension Building is located just a few blocks from the UC Berkeley campus in the heart of downtown Berkeley. There are many different housing options available that you can choose from.
Where to live?
You choose your accommodation based on your preferences and budget. You can choose the bustling atmosphere of a dormitory, the personal experience of living with a host family or the independence of a shared or private apartment.
You must secure your own place to live while studying, but UCBE works with several housing providers to help you find the ideal accomodation. Most students choose to live around the campus in Berkeley, but others prefer to live in San Francisco and commute into Berkeley.
Types of accommodation
- Dormitories are a good choice if you want a structured atmosphere with opportunities to meet new people.
- Apartments are recommended if you want to be more independent and prefer a quiet atmosphere for studying and privacy.
- Homestays might be a good fit if you are looking for a private room in a local family’s home. The homestays are quite popular and available in both San Francisco, Berkeley and other nearby areas.
- Hotels or hostels are suggested while you are looking for long-term housing.
Although the university facilitates contact between students and housing providers as a service, the agreement for housing is between the student and the housing provider.
It is very important that you are completely certain before signing a lease. Breaking a lease or leaving earlier is a serious legal matter. International Student Services cannot give legal advice, but will refer students to Renter’s Assistance on campus.
Apply to the University of California - Berkeley extension
UC Berkeley Extension requires a minimum of 79 iBT TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS. Results must be from a test taken within the past two years.
Exemptions can be made if you hold a bachelor's degree (or higher) from a university located in the United States or in another country in which English is both the official spoken language and the medium of instruction.
IDP programs are advanced degree programs. Entry requirements vary depending on the program. Some IDPs require three years of undergraduate study, while others require a completed university degree and two years of work experience.
When should I apply?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, in the order they are received, and only complete applications are assessed. Programs can fill before the application deadline, so send all application documents as soon as possible. Please contact our study advisors for more information, or to receive the application form to UC Berkeley Extension.