To be the best, you need to train with the best. American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA) is recognized as one of America's premier institutions for the performing arts. Study Dance, Acting, Singing, Musical Theater on a summer course or get a Bachelor of Performing Arts.
Why study at AMDA?
- AMDA is an unparalleled performing arts institution devoted to training the actor, singer, and dancer for Broadway, television, and film
- Over 50 years as an industry leader in performing arts education
- Campuses in the heart of New York City and Los Angeles, with options to study at both
- A faculty of professionals working in the field, who also serve as mentors
- Versatile Programs: AMDA's training bridges the gap from stage to screen
- Intensity: 30 to 35 hours of weekly coursework, plus additional time for rehearsal and preparation
- Build a Performance Resume: countless opportunities to audition for on stage and on camera
- Audition While Enrolled: class hours shift to the evening in the final semester to allow for professional auditions during the day
- Exposure to industry professionals: Panel nights are set in the final semester for students to present work in front of industry professionals; Student performers start their professional network while at school
- A Visible, High Profile Alumni: over 60 performers on Broadway over the past three years, with other alumni appearing on television and in films throughout the world
Accomodation in New York & Los AngelesOur study advisors can guide you and inform you about housing opportunities in New York and Los Angeles.
There are housing options available within walking distance of AMDA campuses in New York and in Los Angeles. Rooms are fully furnished. AMDA believes that residence facilities provide an educational benefit to students. The experience of living and participating in campus housing challenges students to learn and live in a diverse environment.
Off campus housing can be arranged by the student themselves. Be prepared for a higher cost on average.
A college and a conservatory all in one
Whether you choose a two-year professional Conservatory Program or a traditional Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) Program, you'll receive intensive, hands-on instruction from the best and brightest professionals in the industry. Emphasizing creative maturity, stylistic depth and professional excellence, every program the school offers is designed to help you reach your full artistic potential through a deep-rooted foundation in the performing arts.
AMDA’s education spans the major performing arts disciplines of:
- Musical Theatre
- and Dance Theatre
All students receive training in these disciplines.
Apply to The American Musical and Dramatic AcademyThe American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA) has three intakes a year. We recommend that you start the application process as early as possible to secure your spot on the study program of your dreams. Our study advisors will help you with all your questions, application forms, requirements, practical information, flight tickets, and applying for a visa to the US.
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy's admission requirements depend on the program you are applying for. Generally AMDA requires average grades from previous studies and good English skills. As all courses are taught in English, it is important that you are able to communicate and express yourself well in English. Ideal applicants for AMDA should demonstrate a sincere passion for their field of study.
Our study advisors will tell you all you need to know about English requirements and applying, including possible scholarship opportunities at AMDA. In addition to filling out an application and providing supporting documents, you will be required to audition for placement. Your placement audition can be adjudicated for scholarship consideration. You can schedule to audition live in selected cities around the world, or submit your audition electronically.