Reach out to us and receive our free study guidance. Your personal study adviser helps you with all the practicalities about studying in Hawaii such as financing, housing, scholarships and the application if you wish to study a:
- Semester (study abroad)
...in beautiful Hawaii.
The campuses of Hawaii Pacific University are located on the southeast shore of the island Oahu, the third largest Hawaiian island. Honolulu is the capital city of the islands of Hawaii. Read on for all the activities that you can do when you aren’t studying.
Student life in Hawaii won't be boring
Aloha! This is Hawaiian for “hello” or “welcome”. Hawaii is a great place to study, especially for students from the Northern European countries who want to escape the cold and dark winters. The climate is perfect, with temperatures of around 28 degrees Celsius all year round.
The island of Oahu has over 100 beaches! Waikiki on the south shore is among the most popular and well-known beaches and a lot of students find accommodation on this part of the island. From here, the bus will take you to downtown Honolulu in about 30 minutes. The north shore beaches are famous for their big waves during the winter, perfect if you are an experienced surfer or if you just want to watch those surfer dudes catch some waves. If you prefer to snorkel, you really should go to Turtle Bay on the North Shore.
The best of both worlds
Apart from the abundance of beautiful beaches on Hawaii, there is a lot of culture to explore as well. Why not visit one of the museums on native Hawaiian culture or go to the zoo to see some of the rare native animals of Hawaii? Waikiki offers some great shopping as well –you will find stores with major international brands such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Gucci. You can also make a visit to a pineapple or coffee plantation. Did you know that Hawaii is the only US state that grows coffee?
5 things to do for free in Hawaii
- Hike up the Diamond Head volcano. This national natural monument is located just outside Waikiki. The walk is short but steep. Once you made it to the top, you will be rewarded by panoramic views of the city and the Pacific Ocean.
- Watch professional surfers battle the waves during one of the many annual surf competitions. The north shore of Oahu is famous for its winter waves and several competitions are held during the November-February months.
- Learn all about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour and the role of the US in World War II at the Pearl Harbour Visitor Centre. Entry is free!
- Wander around China Town in Honolulu. OK, lunch or dinner are not free, but a person has got to eat anyway…. Might as well be a nice and fresh traditional Chinese meal then.
- Visit the Honolulu Night Market. Every 3rd Saturday of the month Kakaako comes alive with an evening event that combines fashion, live music, art, shopping and local food. Dance to traditional Hawaiian music to work up an appetite and then try some local food.
Climate in Hawaii
The climate in Hawaii is perfect all year round. There is no significant difference between the four seasons and the average temperature is 28°C all year round. The only difference is that there is a bit more rain during the winter season.