We offer free study counseling and help you with all the practicalities such as handling the application process, we tell you how you can finance your studies in Canada, where you can live, how to apply for scholarships, help you find your dream courses and everything in between. In Kamloops you can study:
- Semester/Study Abroad (during your gap year or as a semester abroad while studying a degree at home)
- Bachelor Degree
- Master Degree (limited selection)
- Diploma/Certificate (a specialization within your area)
Get free study guidance!
About Thompson Rivers University
Many program have co-op options which means that you can combine studying with paid work experience. Average monthly salaries range from CDN $2-4,000.
At Thompson Rivers University you can study practically anything, from adventure programs in tourism, sports or even mountain and ski guiding – to more traditional bachelor and master degrees in business, engineering, nursing or computer science. Anything is possible.
Thompson Rivers University (TRU) is a modern and innovative university located in Kamloops, British Columbia. The university is located in spectacular landscapes so if you wish to study abroad and you like adventure and outdoor adventures, Thompson Rivers University will be an ideal choice for you.
10 good reasons to study at Thompson Rivers University
- TRU is an internationally recognized university
- As a KILROY student you may apply for the TRU and KILROY scholarship of up to CAD $ 1,000 per semester (up to four semesters)
- A lively and supportive campus community with a full range of facilities and services for international students
- The location - Enjoy outdoors activities such as hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, golf, fishing, tennis, ice hockey and curling
- Various student associations, sport clubs and activity programs on campus, such as the Student Newspaper, the International Soccer Club and the International Student Activity Program
- Amazing location, campus is located just on the outskirts of the city center
- An international environment with students from more than 85 countries
- Amazing on and off campus housing facilities
- Vancouver is only a 45 minutes flight away from Kamloops
- Spend 45 minutes on the road and visit some of Canada's top ski resorts
Also, if you apply through KILROY you have the option of applying for the $1,000 CAD per semester of study up to a maximum of $4,000 CAD over 4 semesters of study at the university.
A co-operative education is a program that combines on-campus study with paid work experience in Canada. Students also gain credit towards their degree. Work terms commence in January, May or September and they last four, eight or two months. Wages vary between $11-30 an hour. The co-op program is a great way to get work experience while studying abroad meaning you will graduate with work experience on your CV which is sought after by companies all over the world.
The co-op program is available to students in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Arts - Examples of jobs are: Festival Production Assistant, Gallery Coordinator, ECOsmart Team Member
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Examples of jobs are: Account Manager Trainee, HR Assistant, PR coordinator, Research Assistant
- Bachelor of Computing Science - Examples of jobs are: Applications Developer, Agile Developer, System Analyst, Web Developer
- Bachelor of Science - Examples of jobs are: Software Engineer, Field Biologist, Laboratory Analyst
- Bachelor of Natural Resource Science - Examples of jobs are: Air Quality Program Specialist, Environmental Scientist, Pollution Control Specialist, Water Quality Specialist
- Bachelor of Tourism Management- Examples of jobs are: Event & Marketing co-op, Guest Services Agent, Multi-media Journalist, Social Media Content Creator, Tour Guide
- Engineering Transfer Program- Examples of jobs are: Agile Developer, Project Coordinator, QA Tester
The main campus of the Thompson Rivers University is located on the outskirts of the city center of Kamloops. The other regional centers are Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Clearwater, Barriere, Ashcroft, Lillooet and Vancouver.
You will definitely not get bored on campus. Here you will find various students clubs and activity programs. Besides these activities, you can join the International Student Activity Program (ISAP). This allows you to meet new people, try new activities, discover the Canadian culture and explore the city and surrounding areas.
If you love sports, then this is the place to be! At the Tournament Capital Centre you will find an Olympic length pool, a running track, a modern training center and a well-equipped gymnastics center. TRU has varsity teams in many different sports.
On campus you will also find a lot of facilities such as a library, student services, computer centers, student health center, bookstore, pub, cafes, gym, swimming pool, squash hall and tennis courts.
Studying at TRU, you have to decide whether you want to live on or off campus. If you are the type that likes to have everything close by and live in a walking distance of your classes, then on campus housing might just be the right choice for you. Thompson Rivers University has 2 options: the TRU Residence, which is a dormitory, and student apartment housing divided over three buildings on campus. TRU guarantees housing at the TRU residence for new degree students, as long as you apply buy the set deadline.
If you prefer to live off campus, it should not be a problem to find an accommodation close to TRU. The Upper College Heights Student Housing are some off campus student facilities located close to campus.
There is also the Homestay option, which allows students to live with Canadian families, thus being exposed to and participating in Canadian culture and customs.
Facts about Thompson Rivers University
- Thompson Rivers University takes its name from the North Thompson and South Thompson Rivers, which converge at Kamloops
- 6 athletics teams — baseball, cross country running, golf, swimming, curling, and cheer squad
- Varsity teams: 7 WolfPack teams — men’s and women’s volleyball, basketball, and soccer
- 12 restaurants on campus
Apply to Thompson Rivers University
The school year at TRU is divided into three semesters. Some courses and degrees run each semester whilst others only start once a year. The application deadlines for international students are:
- Fall semester (from September to December): May
- Winter semester (from January to April): October
- Summer semester (from May to August): February
We recommend that you apply to TRU at least 4 months before the semester starts, as the visa process can be lengthy.
TRU requires an average level of academic performance and they will evaluate your application in relation to your past and current studies, your grades and the courses that you are currently enrolled in. Admission requirements vary among the different courses and degrees you apply for.
As an international student you must also meet TRU's English language requirements. TRU might be able to assess your English language results from Upper Secondary School. If you do not have the required results, you will be asked to provide a TOEFL or IETLS test scores.