Would you like to study abroad in one of the most attractive cities in the USA? Studying in San Diego for one or two semesters provides you with a great experience! San Diego State University is located near San Diego city center, sandy beaches and the colorful country of Mexico. It is a leading university with a beautiful campus and a vibrant student community.
8 good reasons to study at San Diego State University
- The SDSU campus is located near the best Southern Californian beaches, like La Jolla, Coronado and Mission Beach.
- The university offers a great variety of courses, like business, communication and media courses.
- With more than 33,000 students, SDSU is the largest university in San Diego and the third largest in California.
- San Diego State University offers excellent education and high quality teaching.
- SDSU works with many non-profit organizations in San Diego and students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of volunteer projects.
- It never, almost never, rains in Southern California.
- San Diego is perfect for summer activities and outdoor sports, like sunbathing, surfing, skating, mountain biking, beach volleyball and many other activities.
- The city is also known as America's Finest City and one of the safest cities in America.
Highly ranked University
The American Language Institute (ALI) is part of the highly ranked San Diego State University. SDSU is the oldest and largest university in San Diego and the third largest in California. As an SDSU program, the ALI is nationally recognized and accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Study programs and courses
At San Diego State University you can study a wide range of study programs and courses including Business, Engineering, Religion, Journalism, Fine arts or what about Anthropology or Food Science?
Facts about San Diego State University
- SDSU has over 1,400 international students from over 90 countries; you’ll improve your English language skills and make lots of friends from all over the world.
- San Diego is a great destination for field trips; you can visit Los Angeles, Mexico, Balboa Park, San Diego Safari Park, Cleveland National Forest, go climbing in Joshua Tree National Park or canoeing in the Colorado River to name a few.
- California ... knows how to party; San Diego is known for its great parties (please keep in mind that alcohol is not allowed under the age of 21).
Campus San Diego State University
The idyllic university campus of SDSU is located only ten minutes from the most beautiful beaches of California. The Mission Bay Aquatic Center will give you access to various activities such as surfing and water skiing. The campus has great facilities, like modern learning spaces, sports facilities, cool cafés, a swimming pool, library, several shops and dedicated support staff to help you find your way at university and during your studies.
In addition to a wide selection of courses you can also take part in the vibrant student life at SDSU. The university offers good sports facilities and lots of student organisations and clubs that you can join. By joining these organisations and clubs and participating in the activities at the International Student Centre, you’ll make lots of new friends.
SDSU’s American Language Institute organizes social activities that strengthen your English communication skills, promote cross-cultural engagement and encourage an active lifestyle. You can participate in volunteer programs, outdoor trips, sports activities and many cultural events.
Student accommodation in San Diego
San Diego State University (SDSU) offers well-equipped accommodation options and works closely with a number of providers. You can live with fellow students in a student housing facility, or you can decide for private rental or a homestay if you would like to live with an American family. You can choose between the following accommodation options:
- University Towers Dormitory: Within walking distance from the main campus, you can share a room with another student at the University Towers Dormitory. Meals are included, 7 days a week. You’ll have access to a shared kitchen.
- On-Campus Apartments: Within walking distance or a short shuttle ride from the campus, you can share an On-Campus Apartment with other students. You’ll have a communal kitchen. Prices depend on the number of rooms and if you share the bedroom and bathroom or not.
- Homestay: Live with an American host family, including two meals a day.
- Off-Campus Apartments: Many students choose to rent an apartment off campus with some other students. This is the cheapest alternative and the university can help you. Popular neighbourhoods for students are Mission Beach and Pacific Beach.
There is always an option that suits your needs and budget. Our study advisors will be happy to give you more information.
Apply to San Diego State University
If you would like to study one or two semesters at SDSU, you’ll need an average level of academic performance. If you would like to apply for the Semester at SDSU Business Courses program, you must have completed university level coursework in a business-related major, or have taken basic courses in accounting, finance, mathematics, statistics or management of information systems in order to be accepted.
The English admission requirement is that you take an English language test (TOEFL/IELTS test). There are some exceptions to this rule.
We recommend that you send us your application as soon as possible and at least six months before the start of the semester. SDSU has an early deadline and the semesters start in January and August. If you are interested, please contact our study advisors.