University of California Berkeley, just outside of San Francisco, is regularly ranked as one of the best universities in the United States and the university has over 35,000 students from around the world. UC Berkeley Extension is a department of UC Berkeley that facilitates study at the university for international students. At University of California, Berkeley you can study:
- A semester or two/Study Abroad (Global Access Program)
- A Diploma
- Foundation program for high-achieving graduated High school students
- Summer school for high-achieving high school students (6-8 weeks)
Get free study guidance
Via the Study Abroad Global Access Program for semester students, students can choose to focus on one study area:
- Legal Studies (e.g. Law, Technology and Entrepreneurship, Sociology of Law, International Relations and International Law, and Theories of Justice)
- Environmental Design/Architecture (e.g. Cities, Landscapes and Technology, Urban and Community Health, History and Literature of Landscape Architecture)
- Entrepreneurship/Business (e.g. New Venture Finance, FinTech, High-Technology Marketing Management, and Fundamentals of Design Thinking)
....or choose a mixture of courses (the Discover program) from the UC Berkeley course catalogue. See courses here.
Why study at the University of California, Berkeley Extension?
- University of California Berkeley is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world!
- University of California Berkeley is located just outside amazing San Francisco (20 minutes by car)
- Complete a quality education and earn a diploma that demonstrates successful completion of rigorous Berkeley-quality curriculum.
- You have the opportunity to combine your education with an internship.
- You get to live on a campus with over 35,000 students from around the world
- The university has over 1,000 student groups so you have many opportunities to connect with other students who share your interests.
Campus and accommodation at the University of California, Berkeley
The UC Berkeley Extension Building is located just a few blocks from the UC Berkeley campus in the heart of downtown Berkeley. There are many different housing options available that you can choose from.
You choose your accommodation based on your preferences and budget. You can choose the bustling atmosphere of a dormitory, the personal experience of living with a host family or the independence of a shared or private apartment.
You must secure your own place to live while studying, but UCBE works with several housing providers to help you find the ideal accommodation. Most students choose to live around the campus in Berkeley, but others prefer to live in San Francisco and commute into Berkeley.
Apply to the University of California - Berkeley Extension
To apply to UC Berkeley Extension in San Francisco we will help you fill out the application form. We will inform you about financing, grade requirements and possibility to apply for scholarships. Other requirements may occur depending on which program you apply for.
The English requirements also differ depending on the program. At times, we can waive the English test if your university grades are sufficient and in other cases you will need to take a TOEFL or IELTS test.
When should I apply for my studies in San Francisco?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, in the order they are received, and only complete applications are assessed. Programs can fill before the application deadline, so send all application documents as soon as possible. Please contact our study advisors for more information, or to receive the application form to UC Berkeley Extension.