Do you wish to study at college in sunny California at a campus that overlooks the Pacific Ocean and is only steps away from the beach?
Santa Barbara City College is an excellent choice if you're looking for an unforgettable study experience and great academic programs at a very reasonable tuition fee. Whether you are looking for a place to study abroad for one or two semesters or whether you want to transfer, SBCC is the good choice for you.
Reach out to us and receive our free study guidance.
Get free study guidance
We will tell you all the practicalities about studying at Santa Barbara City College and make sure you get all the information about financing, housing, scholarships and we help you with the application and paperwork. At Santa Barbara City College you can study:
- A semester or two/Study Abroad (during your gap year or as part of your education)
- An Associate Degree (you can be transferred to an American University after 2 years and earn a Bachelor's Degree)
5 amazing reasons to study at Santa Barbara City College
- The location - Beach, mountains, sunshine and warm temperatures (you can see and hear the ocean from campus)
- Small classes - the average amount of students in one class is 28
- Good opportunities to apply for transfer to the University of California and other U.S. universities to complete your bachelor's degree
- Up to 50 different student clubs - from adventure clubs to a design clubs
- Your spare time - soak up the sunny weather, play sports or head down town (90 minutes from Los Angeles and 6 hours from San Francisco)
Courses at Santa Barbara City College
Almost anything is possible, and these are just examples:
- Baking and Pastry
- Environmental Studies
- Film Producing
- Global Leadership
- Graphic Design
- Healthy Aging
- Infant/Toddler Development
- Interior Design
- International Business
- International Marketing: Fashion and Beauty
- Law and Society
- Media Design and Development
- Middle East Studies
- Mobile Application Developer
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Real Estate
- Social Media for Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Threatre Arts
Campus life at Santa Barbara City College
You have a huge variety of sports you can participate in such as baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, softball, track and field and volleyball. If theater and music are more your passion then the SBCC Theater Group may be something for you. Students can participate in all kind of areas of production being costuming, makeup, stagecraft and acting. SBCC also organises a variety of events and multicultural events on campus throughout the year.
There are approximately 50+ active student clubs at the college, which form a great way to meet new people and be part of SBCC's campus life. Whether you are interested in international business, art, astronomy or sports, you have the option to choose from a large amount of clubs to participate in if you want.
Who can study at Santa Barbara City College?
- Students must be 18 years or older at the time of arrival
- SBCC accepts students directly from Upper Secondary School
- SBCC accepts students that do not have a home institution (students who take a gap year)
- You may apply to SBCC even if you have not completed Upper Secondary School, and you must meet the age and GPA requirement, and should have completed at least two years of Upper Secondary School
SBCC does not have English language proficiency requirements for admission. Instead, all new students will be required to take Assessment test upon arrival (in both Math and English). This will help SBCC place students into the appropriate classes
Student accommodation at Santa Barbara City College
A lot of international students are usually worries about finding a place to live, but we have never experienced this to be an issue. There is no student housing on campus, but there are many student apartments around the city. The International Student Housing Coordinator helps international students with tips and advice on housing. While some students prefer to stay with a host family (home stay), others prefer to share an apartment or house together with other students or live in student residences. The benefit of living with other students is that it is a great experience and allows you to meet other students going to SBCC.
There are several apartments and student residence buildings in the close proximity of the school. Others are maybe located a bit further away and you have to take a bus to and from the campus. Check the SBCC Housing website for housing options, roommate searches and maps of the neighborhoods.
If you wish, we are happy to forward you a an estimated budget of your expected living expenses, tuition fee and expected income of your study abroad experience at Santa Barbara City College.
Academic reputation of Santa Barbara City College
- SBCC has been ranked by the prestigious Aspen Institute as a Top Ten US Community College out of 1,200 community colleges nationwide. SBCC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
- SBCC has received the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges' Hayward Award for Excellence in Education.
- SBCC's Express to Success Program received the California Community Colleges' Chancellor's Award for best Practices in Student Equity.
Apply to Santa Barbara City College
Santa Barbara City College will evaluate your application in relation to your past and current studies, your grades and the courses that you are attending at the moment. Students must have reached the age of 18 when starting their studies at SBCC. A good average and academic performance (minimum grade point average of 2.0 or equivalent) in high school is required but there may be exceptions.
All new students must take an "assessment test" in English and mathematics when they start their studies so no English language test, such as TOEFL or IELTS, is required to apply to SBCC.
When should I apply?
Santa Barbara City College has two starts throughout the year and a summer program.
We recommend you apply as soon as you have decided that you would like to study at SBCC. As the application for a visa can take up to 4-5 months, we recommend you start your application 6 months prior to your desired study start.