Do you wish to study at college in California? At Santa Barbara City College you can study in California at a very reasonable tuition fee. Reach out to us and receive our free study guidance. We will tell you all the practicalities about studying in college such as financing, housing, scholarships and the application if you wish to study a:
- Semester/Study Abroad (during your gap year or as part of your education)
- Associate Degree (you can be transferred to an American University after 2 years)
If you are thinking of studying in the USA, Santa Barbara City College is a great option. The college is very popular among both international and American students, and has a fantastic seafront location in sunny California. The cost of studying at Santa Barbara City College is very affordable compared to other institutions. Whether you are looking for a place to study abroad for one or two semesters or whether you want to transfer, SBCC is the good choice for you.
Courses at Santa Barbara City College
Almost anything is possible, and these are just examples:
- Baking and Pastry
- Environmental Studies
- Film Producing
- Global Leadership
- Graphic Design
- Healthy Aging
- Infant/Toddler Development
- Interior Design
- International Business
- International Marketing: Fashion and Beauty
- Law and Society
- Media Design and Development
- Middle East Studies
- Mobile Application Developer
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Real Estate
- Social Media for Business
- Strategic Marketing
- Threatre Arts
Who can study at Santa Barbara City College?
- Students must be 18 years or older at the time of arrival
- SBCC accepts students directly from Upper Secondary School
- SBCC accepts students that do not have a home institution (who take a gap year)
- You may apply to SBCC even if you have not completed Upper Secondary School, and you must meet the age and GPA requirement, and should have completed at least two years of Upper Secondary School
SBCC does not have English language proficiency requirements for admission. Instead, all new students will be required to take Assessment test upon arrival (in both Math and English). This will help SBCC place students into the appropriate classes
5 good reasons to study at Santa Barbara City College
- Location, location, location. Beach, mountains, sunshine and warm temperatures, besides great academic programs. Do we even need to continue more?
- You can see and hear the ocean from campus. The campus overlooks the Pacific Ocean and is only steps away from the beach.
- Small classes, the average amount of students in one class is 28.
- No teaching assistants that end up teaching classes, here you will get the real thing with great teachers.
- After completing an Associate degree there are good opportunities to apply for transfer to the University of California and other U.S. universities where you can complete your bachelor's degree
- Up to 50 different student clubs ranging from an adventure club to a design club. If you can't find any club matching your needs, you can just start your own.
Academic reputation of Santa Barbara City College
- SBCC has been ranked by the prestigious Aspen Institute as a Top Ten US Community College out of 1,200 community colleges nationwide. SBCC is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
- SBCC has received the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges' Hayward Award for Excellence in Education.
- SBCC's Express to Success Program received the California Community Colleges' Chancellor's Award for best Practices in Student Equity.
Campus Santa Barbara City College
Located in the beautiful Santa Barbara, the campus is situated on a great location just overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Only lying steps away from the beach, you can enjoy your free time soaking up the sunny weather, playing sports or heading down town. Santa Barbara is greatly located on the Central Coast offering a great mixture of rural and urban atmosphere. The campus is situated about 90 minutes north from Los Angeles and 6 hours from San Francisco.
Campus life at SBCC
There are approximately 50+ active student clubs at the college, which form a great way to meet new people and be part of SBCC's campus life. Whether you are interested in international business, art, astronomy or sports, you have the option to choose from a large amount of clubs to participate in if you want.
You have a huge variety of sports you can participate in such as baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, softball, track and field and volleyball. If theatre and music are more your passion than is the SBCC Theatre Group maybe something for you. Here students can particpate on all kind of areas of production being costuming, makeup, stagecraft and acting. For the singers amongst you, there are concert productions including choir and chamber singers, jazz, symphony, concert band, and electronic music. Besides al of this, the college also organises a variety of events and multicultural events on campus throughout the year. If this is something that would interest you, don't forget to by tour Student Activity Sticker, which gives you free entrance to a lot of the athletic events, preview nights for drama and musical productions and discounts at the campus bookstore and with merchants in the city.
If you are in need of a computer, the Cyber Center on campus is equipped with 26 computers for students to use and it is also a great place to relax or read up on study materials. Otherwise students can also make use of the computers located at the Eli Luria Library and the Cartwright Learning Resource Center. Over the whole campus internet is provided so students can make also use of the cafeteria or lounge area to work. The Cartwright Learning Resource Center offers free tutoring services for all students enrolled at SBCC in different subject areas.
Student accommodation at Santa Barbara City College
There is no student housing on campus, but there are many student apartments around the city. The International Student Housing Coordinator helps international students with tips and advice on housing. While some students prefer to stay with a host family (home stay), others prefer to share an apartment or house together with other students or live in student residences. The benefit of living with other students is that it is a great experience and allows you to meet other students going to SBCC.
There are several apartments and student residence buildings in the close proximity of the school. Others are maybe located a bit further, from which you can take a bus to and from the campus. Check the SBCC Housing website for housing options, roommate searches and maps of the neighbourhoods.
Housing in the Santa Barbara area is expensive. SBCC has created a budget worksheed, that allows you to determine what you are able to afford. Don't forget about expenses for utilities, food and laundry.
When to start looking for accommodation?
- Are you starting your studies at SBCC in the Fall, then you should start your accommodation search around March and April.
- If you are starting in Spring, then you should start looking for housing around November and December.
Apply to Santa Barbara City College
Santa Barbara City College will evaluate your application in relation to your past and current studies, your grades and the courses that you are attending at the moment. Students must have reached the age of 18 when starting their studies at SBCC. A good average and academic performance (minimum grade point average of 2.0 or equivalent) in high school is required but there may be exceptions.
All new students must take an "assessment test" in English and mathematics when they start their studies so no English language test, such as TOEFL or IELTS, is required to apply to SBCC.
When should I apply?
Santa Barbara City College has two starts throughout the year and a summer program. The application deadlines are as follow:
- Spring (Semester 1): November
- Fall (Semester 2): June
- Summer Session: April
We recommend you apply as soon as you have decided that you would like to study at SBCC. As the application for a visa can take up to 4-5 months, we recommend you start your application 6 months prior to your desired study start.