Before we decided to let Benedikt off the hook, we came up with some more questions that are asked frequently by our KILROY travellers:
How do you convice your parents to go on your first solo adventure?
- Overwhelm them with your planning! Show them you have everything completely figured out and that you are not just acting on a whim. Prove to them that you are mature enough to undertake such an awesome adventure. Also a good idea is to take them with you to the KILROY office when you want to plan your trip. This way they know in advance what you are up to. Of course you don't have to tell them exactly what you did when you eventually arrived.
I want to do my first solo Travel, should you recommend to just try for a month or have an open ticket? + Do you recommend pre-planning your whole trip or just wing it?
- This completely depends on your personality. Are you a planner or do you like to take spontaneous action? Open tickets are also a good idea if you have time to spare and are not travelling on a tight schedule.
How do you communicate when you don't speak the language?
- If you have your phone with you and you have a local sim-card you could rely on translation apps to do the trick. If not, use your hands, gestures, facial expressions and smile.
How do you plan everything while travelling? Do you use hostel computers, bring your laptop, use your phone?
- Benedikt plans big activities, such as tours, campers or camps ahead before departure. Hostels and smaller plans can be made a few days in advance during your trip. For this it could be good to use your phone as it is a compact device to gather all your reservation documents. Don't take your own laptop, it's usually just another thing to worry about plus it makes your backpack heavier.
How do you connect with other travellers
- Start in advance by looking up some online platforms where people get together to discuss their upcoming travels. Facebook is a great medium for this but there are also dedicated websites for this purpose. Next, hostels. Staying in a hostel is a great way to get in touch with others who travel alone.
Is solo travel combined with Interrail a good idea?
- Most definitely. A great idea even. Don't hesitate, just go for it.