You don’t have to travel halfway across the world to experience some of the coolest places and activities this summer.
Europe has so much to offer, especially if you’re looking for something different than your average “beach holiday”. Go Island hopping around the more unknown Greek Islands, volunteer with wolves or sea turtles, learn to surf in Portugal or get your adrenaline pumping by rafting in Slovenia. These are just some of the options you have… We’ve gathered our best tips for an epic summer in Europe. Check them out below!
1. Freedom of the open road and adrenaline in the Balkans
The Balkans…? It’s probably not the first thing you think of when you’re planning your summer holiday. But the Balkans is the more exotic and unknown part of Europe and definitely worth checking out! It’s one of those places that surprise you around every turn, has an abundance of contrasts, breathtaking landscapes and crystal-clear water. Enjoy the freedom of the open road in a campervan, stop where you want to, sleep under the stars and go skinny dipping in secret blue lagoons. If you’re more the active type, you should hit Triglav National Park and raft down the Sõca river or go hiking in Bosnia & Herzegovina. The possibilities are endless here!
Things you should check out in the Balkans:
- Set out on an epic road trip in a campervan
- Make your trip more meaningful by volunteering in Split, Croatia
- Take part in a cooking class in Tirana and master the traditional Albanian cuisine
- Go skydiving or hot air ballooning in Slovenia
- Go swimming at the beautiful Krka waterfalls in Croatia
- Explore two of the last European rainforests in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro
- Try river rafting, hiking, ziplining and so much more
- Join a sailing tour with other young backpackers
2. Culture, caves and waves in Portugal
Portugal is famous for it's beautiful coast lines and the varied nature. They also have some of the best spots for surfing! Have you wanted to master the waves? Why not join one of our surf camps or maybe even combine it with a yoga retreat? Portugal is also a perfect country to road trip in. There are so many caves, national parks, hidden beaches and cute little towns to visit. Maybe it’s time to think about going on a road trip from the south to the north? If you’re an outdoors type of guy or girl, you could head over to Europe’s version of Hawaii: The Azores or Madeira, for some epic hiking opportunities!
Things you should check out in Portugal:
- Join a surf camp and master the waves (you could combine it with yoga too!)
- Embark on a roadtrip
- Volunteer with wolves in Lisbon
- Visit caves like Bengail, Zorreira or Mira de Aire (they're beautiful).
- Step away from the mainland and go hiking in the Azores or Madeira.
3. Travel while giving back
We work closely with some really cool volunteer projects in Portugal, Greece and Croatia. Volunteering gives you the perfect combination of traveling while giving something back. We work with various projects, anything from marine conservation in Greece, to food outreach projects in Portugal.
Check out some of the volunteering opportunities in Europe below!
4. Into the blue in Greece
Greece isn’t just “all-inclusive resorts and umbrella cocktails”. The country has both a mountainous mainland and an amazing offshore archipelago with beautiful islands. We recommend that you buy an island hopping pass so you can see as much as possible during your travels and that you stop by the more remote islands. You should also travel inlands! Greece has a beautiful landscape and so many hiking possibilities. Northern Greece offers raw landscapes, blue rivers, breathtaking views and amazing hikes.
Things you should check out in Greece:
- Go Island hopping of course!
- Discover some of the most beautiful islands of Greece, still unknown to most tourists such as Karpathos, Serifos, Milos and Amorgos.
- Go hiking in northern Greece
- Travel to Meteora and see its famous clifftop monasteries.
- Hit the road! Travel to the remote places, hidden gems and find that perfect beach.
- Join a sailing tour with other young backpackers.
- Check out caves like Melissani Lake Cave or the Papanikolis Cave.
5. Interrail through Europe
Interrail is back! Your parents probably have a few stories to tell from when they went interrailing in their younger days… But Interrail has really made a comeback with today’s young backpackers! With train connections to more than 40.000 destinations, through 33 countries, the possibilities for creating your personal adventure are unlimited! It's up to you when you want to jump off and when you wish to move on. Experience all that Europe has to offer at your own pace!